Sunday, November 28, 2010

Watercolor Self-Portrait

I really wanted to paint today and this happened sort of spontaneously. There are several watercolor portrait artists who I greatly admire and who have and continue to influence me. One is Roberta Carter Clark. She is an amazing portrait artist who is comfortable working in just about any medium. I love her watercolors and was going to copy one she had in her book Painting Vibrant Children's Portraits. Instead I decided to just try to emulate the style which isn't far off from the way I paint but lately it seems I've gotten back to being tighter and I want to get back to being looser and letting the watercolor do it's thing. It's a test of willpower to mix up a puddle of paint, lay it down and then let it dry without going back in! 

5 comments:

Crystal Cook said...

What a lovely portrait! It does look spontaneous and very well executed. Just beautiful :) And I'm a big fan of Roberta Carter Clark as well.

Carol Blackburn said...

Super job, Kathy. I will have to look at some of Roberta's work as well. Enjoy your day.

andrew said...

This is so beautiful

Carol DeMumbrum said...

Kathy, this is beautiful!! I so know what you mean about trying to be looser. I fight messing with the paint all the time. I think I need to get a timer and make myself stop when it goes off. :) Thanks so much for the beautiful pumpkin print!! That was so sweet of you!

SKIZO said...

I enjoyed your
work very much

Drippy Daffodils

6 x 6 in. watercolor on Aquabord Daffodils are one of my favorite flowers and dozens of little clusters have been appearing in my yard s...