Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Painting a butterfly collection

I have a collection of boys truck wall art that is a best seller in my Etsy store and as I have watched the truck collection grow, I've realized how much I enjoy painting children's wall art. I also wanted to work on something for little girls and so began my butterfly collection last month. How can you not be happy painting butterflies?

Butterfly Print on Etsy


1. I drew my butterfly freehand onto watercolor paper. This is art for kids so the less perfect, the better.

2. I used an Ultramarine Derwent watercolor pencil to draw squiggles on the wings, hatch marks on the body, and I outlined the edges of the wings, too. Then I carefully painted clear water over each section. I like a little messiness so I paint water over the outer edges and let them blur. I also spray water on them and spatter more color into it. Then I use a hair dryer to speed things up.

3. The pinkish color is Winsor & Newton cobalt violet which is a pale sedimentary color which means the pigment will separate a little bit and leave a pretty texture. I also spattered more
cobalt violet into the wash to encourage this effect.

4. The quote was added in Photoshop. I love painting traditionally, but I also love what I can do with my art in Photoshop!





No comments:

Drippy Daffodils

6 x 6 in. watercolor on Aquabord Daffodils are one of my favorite flowers and dozens of little clusters have been appearing in my yard s...