Thursday, June 20, 2013

Reposting Sylvia Liu Land: Penguin Art Director Giuseppe Castellano Critiques...

Back in April, I had the opportunity to participate in a mock book cover assignment with a free critique from Penguin Art Director Guiseppe Castellano. Twenty-six of us from Mark Mitchel's  online Children's illustration class How to Be a Children's Book Illustrator participated.

One of my classmates wrote a blogpost about the experience. He didn't hold back although I don't think his delivery was too harsh. I think I am so used to my own self critique that his wasn't so bad. :)

Below is my bookcover, which was my second version. I am soooooo glad I listened to my gut instinct and trashed my first one (which was so bad that I don't even want to share it). And even though Guiseppe said my background was confusing, I didn't agree with him completely which is a major milestone for me. I had actually had a horrible day, but was determined not to be crushed by his critique.


No comments:

Drippy Daffodils

6 x 6 in. watercolor on Aquabord Daffodils are one of my favorite flowers and dozens of little clusters have been appearing in my yard s...