Sunday, March 15, 2009

New Double Portrait Work in Progress




I thought I'd post a WIP of the portrait commission I'm working on. It's roughly 12 x 16 painted on Arches 140 lb cold press. I think these kids look like "Hummel" figurines. They're so darn cute.


I am working from a photograph but I'm trying really hard not to make it look "hard" like many watercolor portraits I see that are painted from photographs. I let some of my first washes go over the lines and blend into the background. I will also soften the hair into the background in some places. I seem to stay with the same palette for most portraits (alizarin crimson and new gamboge for the first wash on the face; alizarin crimson, burnt sienna, cobalt blue, sap green, burnt umber, rose madder, perm. rose on the face; new gamboge, quinacridone gold, raw sienna, raw umber, burnt umber for the hair). I can't take any credit for these colors as I've studied with Jan Kunz and this is her palette but it's one I'm comfortable with.




No comments:

Drippy Daffodils

6 x 6 in. watercolor on Aquabord Daffodils are one of my favorite flowers and dozens of little clusters have been appearing in my yard s...